An entry level digital-SLR camera with a new CMOS image sensor, image-processing engine and helpful Guide mode that makes capturing beautiful images easy.
A new DX-format CMOS image sensor and image-processing engine, EXPEED 2, both developed by Nikon enable capture of high-definition images with superior image quality
The D3100 is equipped with a new Nikon DX-format CMOS image sensor and a new image-processing engine, EXPEED 2, both developed by Nikon. The CMOS image sensor offers an effective pixel count of 14.2-million pixels (D3000: CCD image sensor with 10.2-million effective pixels) and enables capture of high-definition images exhibiting superior image quality with extremely detailed rendering and rich tones. The camera also makes the most of its standard sensitivity settings up to ISO 3200 (D3000: ISO 100-1600) and additional increases up to Hi 2 (ISO 12800 equivalent), with shooting under dim lighting, such as in the evening or indoors, as well as with sports scenes of rapidly moving subjects.
EXPEED 2 is Nikon's new image-processing engine, developed by refining the concepts, know-how and technologies regarding digital images that Nikon has spent years cultivating. It maximises the performance of the CMOS image sensor to suppress noise in still images and movies and produces images that faithfully reproduce vivid colors.
A refined Guide mode that is even easier to use
Guide mode has been refined to make most camera operations even easier, from shooting to image playback and editing to the application of camera settings, regardless of the user's skill level.
- Assist images: The D3100 displays "assist images" that show the effect of various camera settings, giving users an idea of the results they can expect with specified settings. For example, when "Soften backgrounds" is selected and an aperture value is specified, the assist image displayed in the monitor changes to show the effect that aperture setting will have on images. This allows users to confirm that images will appear as they intended prior to shooting and reduces the number of unsuccessful shots.
- Other new functions built into Guide mode:
- Selection from 3 shooting techniques: "Use the viewfinder," "Use live view," "Shoot movies"
- "Bring more into focus" and "Show water flowing" options have been added to the "Advanced operation" menu for shooting
- "Movie settings," "HDMI," "Flicker reduction" and "Eye-Fi upload"* options have been added to the "Set Up" menu for applying basic camera settings